[GE users] nice values and sge 6.0

Don Shesnicky dshesnicky at enqsemi.com
Mon Jul 19 22:28:33 BST 2004

I had spotted this email from Andy in the archives but it seemed to
imply that
REPRIORITIZATION was different than nice:

 Nice and priority are two different things. The priority is derived
from the
 CPU time used (probably in the last *kernel* scheduling interval).
 With SGE/SGEEE 5.3beta2 and SGE/SGEEE 5.3 you can configure the full
nice
 range form -20 (high) to 20 (low) in the queue configuration (through
the
 "priority" parameter.
 If you are using SGEEE by default the scheduler dynamically
reprioritizes
 the running jobs (in an OS dependent range).
 If you don't want SGEEE to reprioritize running jobs set in the global
 cluster config    qmaster_params NO_REPRIORITIZATION=1

I'll research the qconf command for this setting as that is what
sge_conf
points to but off hand do you know how to set it on a particular group
of
hosts within a queue. As I mentioned on a different thread I have two
groups
of hosts in my d.reg queue - @digital and @analog and only want this
setting
on the analog hosts.

I beginning to think that the overhead of moving to the command line
interface
is worth it as the qui doesn't seem to cut it.

Don