[GE users] submitting binaries while disallowing interactive logins

Jeroen Kleijer j.kleijer at chello.nl
Mon Jul 19 22:36:44 BST 2004

Hello,

I'm setting up Grid Engine on Solaris and Linux hosts and so far
everything seems to be running fine. I can submit batch jobs with qsub and
run binaries with qrsh (which is configured to use ssh because of the X11
forwarding and security).
The only problem I'm running into at the moment is that users have to be
able to interactively login to the nodes to use the qrsh/ssh system which
I'm not particularly fond of because it allows them to login to any node
and startup programs by hand instead of using the scheduling mechanism.
Is there any kind of way to submit binaries (preferably using ssh for
security and X11 reasons) while disallowing them a full commandline
session?

(I've tried to submit binaries using qsub but it fails on the DISPLAY
environment as you get something along the lines of DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
if you're logged in using ssh and rewriting this to <FQDN>:0.0 either
messes up you're secure tunnel or creates a security risk)

Kind regards

Jeroen Kleijer