[GE users] Running VMWare in Sun Grid Engine

Rory_Savage.consultant at peoplesoft.com Rory_Savage.consultant at peoplesoft.com
Tue Jul 20 13:13:14 BST 2004

That's encouraging news.  But with SGE is there "any" situation when a
process can not be migrated to another node?

--
Rory Savage, Charlotte DSI Group
Product & Technology
PeopleSoft Inc.
14045 Ballantyne Corporate Place
Suite 101
Charlotte, NC 28277
Email: rory_savage at peoplesoft.com
Phone: 704.401.1104
Fax: 704.401.1240

                      "Laurence Liew"
                      <laurence at scalables        To:       users at gridengine.sunsource.net,
                      ystems.com>                 Rory_Savage.consultant at peoplesoft.com
                                                 cc:
                      07/19/2004 09:39 PM        Subject:  Re: [GE users] Running VMWare in Sun Grid Engine

Hi,

I believe you can.

You can use SGE's qrsh/qsh/qtcsh commands to start a process (any
process) on a remote node that is likely loaded.

You just need to make sure the network supporting this is fast enough as
the vmware files are pretty big. NFS (better if you have a fast NAS)
would be used to serve out the vmware images from the headnode.

We tried something similar with StarOffice/Netscape a couple of years
ago and it worked fine.

Cheers!
Laurence

--