[GE users] Running VMWare in Sun Grid Engine

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Tue Jul 20 13:59:35 BST 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 13:13, Rory_Savage.consultant at peoplesoft.com
wrote:

> That's encouraging news.  But with SGE is there "any" situation when a
> process can not be migrated to another node?

There are two different models at work here.
I look after clusters with Mosix and Gridengine.

Mosix is an extension to the Linux kernel. You need a set of machines
running identical kernels. When the master notices a process consuming
a certain amount of CPU it snapshots the process, halts it and ships
that information to another machine. The process is restarted on that
machine.

Gridengine is a batch processing / load levelling system.
You can have a heterogenous set of machines - they don't all have to
be running the same OS or kernel.
The user makes a request to the batch system to run a code for him/her.
The system keeps the requests in a queue, and when resources are free on
a machine or machines the job is run on behalf of the user.

Hope that is a bit clearer!