[GE users] Running VMWare in Sun Grid Engine

Alexandre Barras Alexandre.Barras at cerfacs.fr
Tue Jul 20 14:21:56 BST 2004

the master node does not run any processes of VMWARE
Processes are running on the slaves only.

If you do not use Parallel Environnement, VMWARE will run on only one slave.
If you use mpich or lam to run VMWARE, you can run it on several slaves!

Rory_Savage.consultant at peoplesoft.com wrote:

>Ron,
>
>Ok.  Let's say I have one master node, and four slave nodes.  Will sge
>distribute each instance of VMWare on all four (if all of the machine are
>technically idle)?  And another question is, will the master node look like
>a large machine running all of these processes?
>
>thanks!
>
>--
>Rory Savage, Charlotte DSI Group
>Product & Technology
>PeopleSoft Inc.
>14045 Ballantyne Corporate Place
>Suite 101
>Charlotte, NC 28277
>Email: rory_savage at peoplesoft.com
>Phone: 704.401.1104
>Fax: 704.401.1240
>

>                      "Ron Chen"
>                      <ron_chen_123 at yah        To:       users at gridengine.sunsource.net,
>                      oo.com>                   laurence at scalablesystems.com
>                                               cc:       (bcc: Rory Savage/Consultant/PeopleSoft)
>                      07/20/2004 08:20         Subject:  Re: [GE users] Running VMWare in Sun Grid Engine
>                      AM
>                      Please respond to
>                      users
>

>SGE doesn't do process migration.
>
>You can view SGE as an idle machine finder. After your
>first VMWare job is done, it will schedule another one
>to the free node.
>
> -Ron
>
>--- Rory_Savage.consultant at peoplesoft.com wrote:
>

>>That's encouraging news.  But with SGE is there
>>"any" situation when a
>>process can not be migrated to another node?

	     Alexandre Barras - Computing Support Group
        CERFACS, 42 Av. Coriolis, F-31057 TOULOUSE Cedex 1, FRANCE
        Tel.: (+33) [0]5 61 19 30 75   Fax: (+33) [0]5 61 19 30 00