[GE users] Running VMWare in Sun Grid Engine

Rory_Savage.consultant at peoplesoft.com Rory_Savage.consultant at peoplesoft.com
Tue Jul 20 14:29:40 BST 2004

Yes you are right.  I have worked with openMOSIX, and it does migrate
native code to other nodes - but it would not migrate VMWare.  I kept
getting "process would not migrate: because it's a monkey" -- and that
means using files as shared memory in MOSIX language.  I am searching for a
solution which will allow one to start multiple instances of VMWare
(doesn't matter where they run) - and use the "free" resources of the
grid/cluster.  And as each new instance is launched, the resources are
obtained based on load demand.

Example:

Customer "A" requires eight server instances of Windows 2000

Let's say I had a cluster with one master node, and four slave nodes, with
eight instances of VMWare running (each physical machine "might" run two
instances of VMWare).

Then, customer "A" decides they need an additional eight server instances
of Windows 2000 (bringing the total count to sixteen).

The physical machines would have to launch an additional set of two VMWare
process unless we scaled up the amount of physical machines from four slave
nodes to eight.

Wouldn't Gridengine be capable of handling this?

--
Rory Savage, Charlotte DSI Group
Product & Technology
Email: rory_savage at peoplesoft.com
Phone: 704.401.1104
Fax: 704.401.1240

                      "John Hearns"
                      <john.hearns at cluster        To:       users at gridengine.sunsource.net
                      vision.com>                 cc:       (bcc: Rory Savage/Consultant/PeopleSoft)
                                                  Subject:  Re: [GE users] Running VMWare in Sun Grid Engine
                      07/20/2004 08:59 AM
                      Please respond to
                      users

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 13:13, Rory_Savage.consultant at peoplesoft.com
wrote:

> That's encouraging news.  But with SGE is there "any" situation when a
> process can not be migrated to another node?

There are two different models at work here.
I look after clusters with Mosix and Gridengine.

Mosix is an extension to the Linux kernel. You need a set of machines
running identical kernels. When the master notices a process consuming
a certain amount of CPU it snapshots the process, halts it and ships
that information to another machine. The process is restarted on that
machine.

Gridengine is a batch processing / load levelling system.
You can have a heterogenous set of machines - they don't all have to
be running the same OS or kernel.
The user makes a request to the batch system to run a code for him/her.
The system keeps the requests in a queue, and when resources are free on
a machine or machines the job is run on behalf of the user.

Hope that is a bit clearer!

For additional commands, e-mail: users-help at gridengine.sunsource.net