[GE users] nice values and sge 6.0

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Tue Jul 20 16:59:13 BST 2004

Andreas,

Can you confirm that NO_REPRIORITIZATION is deprecated in 6.0 and has
been replaced by reprioritize_interval as described in manpage
sched_conf(5) ?  {I think that is what you said below, just trying to
confirm}

The reason is that the current man pages for sge_conf in 6.0 still have
the full execd_params NO_REPRIORITIZATION information in them (which is
why I got bit by this over the weekend when testing out modifying nice
values).

I'll file a doc issue and fix the training lab if this is the case.

Regards,
Chris

Andreas Haas wrote:

> In 6.0 the 5.3 NO_REPRIORITIZATION execd_param is available
> as sched_conf(5) reprioritize_interval. Currently
> reprioritize_interval default is non-zero which causes
> queue_conf(5) priority be set though at job startup but soon
> after be changed.
>
> To effectuate queue priority values remain after job startup
> unchanged just set reprioritize_interval to 0. We're changing
> the installation default to 0 to overcome that pitfall. See
> also #1139.
>
> Andreas
>

> On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, Don Shesnicky wrote:
>

>>I had spotted this email from Andy in the archives but it seemed to
>>imply that
>>REPRIORITIZATION was different than nice:
>>
>> Nice and priority are two different things. The priority is derived
>>from the
>> CPU time used (probably in the last *kernel* scheduling interval).
>> With SGE/SGEEE 5.3beta2 and SGE/SGEEE 5.3 you can configure the full
>>nice
>> range form -20 (high) to 20 (low) in the queue configuration (through
>>the
>> "priority" parameter.
>> If you are using SGEEE by default the scheduler dynamically
>>reprioritizes
>> the running jobs (in an OS dependent range).
>> If you don't want SGEEE to reprioritize running jobs set in the global
>> cluster config    qmaster_params NO_REPRIORITIZATION=1
>>
>>I'll research the qconf command for this setting as that is what
>>sge_conf
>>points to but off hand do you know how to set it on a particular group
>>of
>>hosts within a queue. As I mentioned on a different thread I have two
>>groups
>>of hosts in my d.reg queue - @digital and @analog and only want this
>>setting
>>on the analog hosts.
>>
>>I beginning to think that the overhead of moving to the command line
>>interface
>>is worth it as the qui doesn't seem to cut it.
>>
>>Don

Office: 617-666-6454, Mobile: 617-877-5498, Fax: 425-699-0193
PGP KeyID: 83D4310E Yahoo IM: craffi Web: http://bioteam.net