[GE users] np_load_avg and thresholds

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Tue Jul 20 21:17:27 BST 2004

The extra CPUs come from Intel Hyperthreading (HT) which can be disabled
via BIOS on every Xeon box I've ever worked on. That is why you see 4
CPUs in your top output as well -- the system 'sees' the virtual and the
physical CPUs. There is lots of debate about HT and if it should be used
by default and the answer in the lifescience community at least has been
"do the benchmarks and decide for yourself if HT is an advantage..." The
newer Linux kernels do a much better job handling HT these days.

You can, of course, set the processor count manually in your SGE config
if you decide to keep HT on but want to only account for the 'real' CPUs
in your SGE config.

-Chris