[GE users] 6.0 utilbin 'spooledit' prgram

Marco Donauer Marco.Donauer at Sun.COM
Wed Jul 21 08:35:51 BST 2004

Hi Chris,

yes this tool can be used for repairing the db.
This is not official tool. If should not be used by "any" user.
This tools has been developed the edit a corrupt db during the
development phase.
It is intended for support or administration tasks, if really needed and
not for playing around with the db.

There is no documentation or man page for this tool.

You're right it's a very useful tool for DB Troubleshooting, but it
should not
be used by a general user to debug the db. It's a developer, supporter
and admin tool.
It's like editing the classic ascii spoolfiles, which should not be done
by the common user.
If you don't know what you are doing, you can destroy your configuration
and cluster setup.
So be careful.

Regards,
Marco

Chris Dagdigian wrote:

> In the previous thread on 'sge_qmaster - Error selecting configuration'
> I saw Andy refer to a utilbin program called 'spooledit' that can dump
> and restore the state of the config when berkeley db spooling is used.
>
> This is the first time I've seen mention of 'spooledit' -- is this the
> intended replacement for people who previously used to look at ascii
> text files to see config settings in v5.3?
>
> Is the full usage for spooledit documented anywhere? Any real world
> examples of usage to complement what was listed in the thread (dump and
> restore per-host config)?
>
> This looks like a handy thing to document in a 'Troubleshooting' section
>  -- is 'spooledit' intended for general use by users who need to debug
> or check the state of the berkeleydb files or is this more of a
> developer tool?
>
> -Chris

Marco Donauer            Tel: +49 941 3075-211  (x60211)
Software Engineer        Fax: +49 941 3075-222  (x60222)
Sun Microsystems GmbH
Dr.-Leo-Ritter-Str. 7    mailto:marco.donauer at sun.com
D-93049 Regensburg       http://www.sun.com/gridware