[GE users] Documentation about SGE

Rayson Ho raysonho at eseenet.com
Fri Jul 23 17:08:26 BST 2004

For smaller clusters, using OpenPBS is fine if you are OK with its limited
features, and lack of support.

For bigger ones, if one of the node crashes (when you have hundreds of
machines, there will be always 1 or 2 down at any given time), the OpenPBS
scheduler will hang there for minutes.

And fault tolerance is better in SGE, with PBS, if your master machine
crashes, then your cluster will stop. With SGE, you can configure 1 or more
shadow masters, and they will take over the role of the qmaster and
continue to run the cluster.

Rayson