[GE users] Documentation about SGE

Charu Chaubal Charu.Chaubal at Sun.COM
Fri Jul 23 19:07:25 BST 2004

Hi Chris,

> o lower administrative burden (subjective, I know). In general I find
> it takes "less work" to manage and debug a LSF cluster, particulary if
> you need to implement sophisticated resource allocation policies. This
> can be a significant thing -- the cost of purchasing LSF in some cases
> can be justified entirely by the admin/staff time savings.

Can you give some examples of policies that are easy to set up in LSF
which are not in GE 6?  Also, what are examples of how it's easier to
debug in LSF?  Maybe the GE community can provide some good practical
tips.

Thanks,
	Charu

On Jul 23, 2004, at 8:10 AM, Chris Dagdigian wrote:

> {my $.02 of course, your experience may vary}
>
> I agree with Vladimir's comments about OpenPBS. If you make a decision
> to use PBS you should use PBSPro irregardless of your status as a
> commercial or academic institution. The differences are significant
> and PBSPro is superior to OpenPBS.
>
> I'll disagree gently with Vladimir's comments about LSF :) In my
> experience using LSF and SGE heavily over the last few years I've
> found that overall LSF edges out SGE as the 'better' product if you
> rule out the cost. heh.
>
> LSF has the following advantages:
>
> o lower administrative burden (subjective, I know). In general I find
> it takes "less work" to manage and debug a LSF cluster, particulary if
> you need to implement sophisticated resource allocation policies. This
> can be a significant thing -- the cost of purchasing LSF in some cases
> can be justified entirely by the admin/staff time savings.
>
> o LSF *by far* has fault tolerance and resiliancy features that blow
> away all the competition. The SGE shadow master does not come close to
> LSF's ability to keep "electing" a new master node as systems fail or
> drop offline one by one.
>
> o For the corporate types with big budgets the various add-on modules
> for LSF that enable WAN-scale job distribution and system accounting
> are really really good.  There are many powerfull add-on products.
>
> There are more reasons but this is not the right forum.
>
> Lest people think I'm spreading anti-SGE FUD I should point out that I
> use, evangelize and recommend SGE daily and that currently in my
> consulting practice, SGE is the software that I deploy "first". LSF is
> the 2nd choice and is used when required.
>

> Ok back to SGE vs PBS which was the real question asked here
>
> I don't use PBS. Ever. The dealbreaker for me when I last looked at
> PBS was the fact that it did not support Array Jobs which are a very
> critical feature in the industry where I work. My last look at PBS was
> several years ago so I could be obsolete with this opinion.
>
> If you need to run an application thousands and thousands of times
> with only minor changs in the command-line arguments and input files
> then Array Jobs are something you need to have.
>
> The other thing was that (subjective again) it felt that managing the
> PBS cluster and keeping it from falling over or losing jobs took "more
> work" than either SGE or LSF. Administrative overhead is a big deal
> for me.
>
> The final scary point was that I have not yet met a serious,
> production user of OpenPBS who has not patched or otherwise modified
> the PBS sourcecode to fix things.
>

> Regards,
> Chris
>

> --
> Chris Dagdigian, <dag at sonsorol.org>
> Independent life science IT & informatics consulting
> Office: 617-666-6454, Mobile: 617-877-5498, Fax: 425-699-0193
> PGP KeyID: 83D4310E Yahoo IM: craffi Web: http://bioteam.net

# Charu V. Chaubal				# Phone: (650) 786-7672 (x87672)
# Grid Computing Technologist	# Fax:   (650) 786-4591
# Sun Microsystems, Inc.			# Email: charu.chaubal at sun.com