[GE users] Job Class?

Charu Chaubal Charu.Chaubal at Sun.COM
Tue Jul 27 20:59:10 BST 2004

Hi Beth,

With Grid Engine, one way to implement job priority classes is to use
Projects.  Please see these two HOWTOs for more information:

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/project/gridengine/howto/geee.html
http://www.sun.com/blueprints/0703/817-3179.pdf

These are linked from the main HOWTO page:
http://gridengine.sunsource.net/project/gridengine/howto/howto.html

Regards,
	Charu

On Jul 27, 2004, at 12:20 PM, Beth Meyer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am looking into switching our company from LSF to SGEEE and I have
> some questions.
>
> We are a digital content creation company, focusing mainly on
> commercials. Our current system distibutes the renderfarm on the basis
> of job priority with some weight given to equal sharing amongst
> commercials and users.  In brief, it works this way -
>
> Jobs that are classified "high priority" dispatch first on a first
> come, first served scheme, with a limit of 17 jobs at a time.
>
> Jobs that are classified "normal priority" dispatch using an equal
> share system, with each commercial having it's own share of the farm.
>
> Jobs that are classified "low priority" only dispatch if there are no
> other jobs that can use the available job slot. These jobs are also on
> a first come, first served scheme.
>
> For accounting purposes we keep track of the jobs by commercial
> (project), with the accumulated render time being charged to that
> commercial.  Any user could be working on any commercial at any given
> time, so we don't maintain user lists for each project.
>
> I've been looking through the documentation and the list archive and
> there is some reference to using a share tree and override scheme to
> accomplish this; but it wasn't clear to me how to use override to
> track priority. I thought it might be somehow liked to job class,
> untill I saw a post indicationg that job class isn't used to assign
> tickets to pending requests - the post and it's replies were written
> in December 2001; so I don't know if the information is still
> accurate.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> 1. Can job class be used as a priority indicator in the override
> policy?
>
> 2. How does one define a job class? Is it intrinsically linked to
> specific queues?
>
> 3. If job class cannot be used in the override policy for this
> purpose, then what do you use? (Keeping in mind that you want to use
> projects to represent specific commercials)
>
> 4. When will 6.0 be released and will it make our current setup easier
> to emulate?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Beth

# Charu V. Chaubal				# Phone: (650) 786-7672 (x87672)
# Grid Computing Technologist	# Fax:   (650) 786-4591
# Sun Microsystems, Inc.			# Email: charu.chaubal at sun.com