[GE users] Job Class?

Wed Jul 28 08:37:17 BST 2004

Beth Meyer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am looking into switching our company from LSF to SGEEE and I have
> some questions.
>
> We are a digital content creation company, focusing mainly on
> commercials. Our current system distibutes the renderfarm on the basis
> of job priority with some weight given to equal sharing amongst
> commercials and users.  In brief, it works this way -
>
> Jobs that are classified "high priority" dispatch first on a first
> come, first served scheme, with a limit of 17 jobs at a time.
>
> Jobs that are classified "normal priority" dispatch using an equal
> share system, with each commercial having it's own share of the farm.
>
> Jobs that are classified "low priority" only dispatch if there are no
> other jobs that can use the available job slot. These jobs are also on
> a first come, first served scheme.
>
> For accounting purposes we keep track of the jobs by commercial
> (project), with the accumulated render time being charged to that
> commercial.  Any user could be working on any commercial at any given
> time, so we don't maintain user lists for each project.
>
> I've been looking through the documentation and the list archive and
> there is some reference to using a share tree and override scheme to
> accomplish this; but it wasn't clear to me how to use override to
> track priority. I thought it might be somehow liked to job class,
> untill I saw a post indicationg that job class isn't used to assign
> tickets to pending requests - the post and it's replies were written
> in December 2001; so I don't know if the information is still accurate.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> 1. Can job class be used as a priority indicator in the override policy?

There are no job classes.

> 2. How does one define a job class? Is it intrinsically linked to
> specific queues?
>
> 3. If job class cannot be used in the override policy for this
> purpose, then what do you use? (Keeping in mind that you want to use
> projects to represent specific commercials)

You can use the priority switch to identify high, medium, and low
priority jobs. Within one priority band, you can use
projects in the sharetree to ensure, that each one gets an equal share
of the compute resources. The scheduler
configuration allows you to weight each policy. You have to give the
priority a much hier weight than the sharetree. This
should give you the result you are looking for.

I hope it helps,
Stephan