[GE users] Disappointing initial "qmake" performance benchmarks

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Thu Jul 29 19:35:33 BST 2004

{ My $.02 }

Grid Engine / PBS / Platform LSF and similar products all have a certain
amount of overhead to deal with when pushing out tasks to remote nodes.
This overhead is most visible when you are trying to do lots of little
short tasks.

For the type of workflows I commonly see, people generally do not even
send a job out to the grid if its expected runtime is ~30 seconds.

Testing with a job that only needs 35 seconds on a single host is
probably not the way to test a distributed resource management system in
a way that reflects most people's real world needs.

I suspect you'll see significant advantages if you started testing with
more complicated compilation efforts. If you test things that are
progressively more involved you'll probably discover for yourself the
inflection point at which the overhead of SGE is paid back in speed
gains from the distributed compile operation.

-Chris