[GE users] user feels penalized by share tree

Sebastian Stark stark at tuebingen.mpg.de
Wed Jun 2 08:10:45 BST 2004

One of my users was complaining about being penalized by the share tree policy
if he's using the cluster when otherwise it would be idle. Let us assume the
following situation:

There are 20 nodes, 15 of which are free (have no job running) at night. The
user thinks it would be a good time to submit his jobs (which is not wrong).

Say he submits 12 jobs which run all the night.

On the next day, when other users are submitting jobs, he will have bad karma
(=less tickets) and feel 'penalized' for using the idle time of the cluster.

I couldn't find a way to argue against that nor could I find a way to
'fix' that behaviour in SGE.

I'm running SGEEE 5.3p5 with a quite simple share tree and evenly distributed
tickets. Does someone have an idea how I could make the system 'feel a bit
more fair'?

--
Sebastian Stark -- http://www.kyb.tuebingen.mpg.de/~stark
Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics