[GE users] user feels penalized by share tree

Aaron Turner aaron at cs.york.ac.uk
Wed Jun 2 12:11:33 BST 2004

Andy Schwierskott wrote:

>You also might consider to reset the sharetree usage every morning if a mid-
>or longterm fairs share is not an objective at your site. Or you may set the
>sharetree to e.g. 24 hours during day time and to a very short time (a few
>hours) during night time.

This is the policy we recently implemented at York. We tightened up on
the imposition of share tree quotas on one side of the equation, but then
made the half life short (if not as short as 24 hours) to then allow
CPU time to be soaked up.

I will be reviewing our usage figures shortly to see what impact this has
had over the monthly usage cycle and can report back here if this is useful
to anyone.

Aaron Turner,
White Rose Grid, UK