[GE users] Batch Job/TTY?

Jmail jmail at valleyserve.com
Wed Jun 2 18:25:23 BST 2004

I'm trying to write an example batch job that reads a line from the input file
'array_data' and echoes it along with the SGE_TASK_ID to a single output file:

#!/bin/bash
# This script will be submitted as an array job and will output data to a file
# The array job is submitted like:
input_line=`head -$SGE_TASK_ID array_data | tail -1`
echo $SGE_TASK_ID $input_line >> array_output
sleep 1

I submit the script and I get output files that read:
Warning: no access to tty; thus no job control in this shell...

I've read the following post that details executing tty commands only if "tty"
is available (not available in batch mode?):
http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/ReadMsg?msgId=2693&listName=users

I'm guessing that the statement:
input_line=`head -$SGE_TASK_ID array_data | tail -1`
evokes this tty error.

How do I accomplish getting the correct line without using tty? Or, how do I
get the tty to work in a batch submission?

Thanks,
Sam