[GE users] SGE 5.3 end of life

Chris Duncan Christopher.Duncan at Sun.COM
Wed Jun 2 21:10:16 BST 2004

Chris Dagdigian wrote:

> Nope not true.
>
> Sun marketing may be confused intentionally or otherwise -- I've seen
> this happen before. This may be coming from the fact that all the Sun
> product literature mentions that 5.3 is going EOL -- again this is more
> due to the reason that they have a newer product being released.
>
> Sun's branded 5.3 product is going away because they announced "N1 Grid
> Engine 6.0" on June 1st for general availibility on June 4 or a bit later.
>
> This does not affect the open source project in any way, shape or form
> -- 5.3 still exists and 6.0 will be coming out of beta shortly.
>
> FYI I've written as much as I have been able to learn about
> Grid Engine 5.3, 6.0 and N1GE 6.0 at this URL, hope it helps!
>
> http://bioteam.net/dag/gridengine-6-features.html
>
> Regards,
> Chris

We had a large internal concern about phrasing and the interpretations.
I'm sure competitors are going to turn this into FUD. But what Chris has
outlined above is true to the best of my knowledge.

Basically this is more an issue of name changes and product
simplifications (no more bifurcation into SGE and SGE,EE). Its also a
matter of standard procedure to not officially support the older
products- as in buying direct support contracts in the future for old
products. If someone has already paid for support then it's not ended by
the EOL. It depends on the product but Sun usually EOL's an older rev of
a product once a new version comes out. Solaris revs are EOL'ed also-
you cannot get patches for Solaris 2.4 now. Though due to market place
and technical restrictions the Solaris EOL's lag more than other Sun
products. EOL is also a timeline process- its announced and then becomes
effective at a specific date.

--chris

> John Coldrick wrote:
>
>>     A thousand apologies for apparently living in a hole the last few
>> months, but I've been told by someone I recommended SGE to that
>> apparently 5.3's end of life has been announced and there will be no
>> "free" versions of v6.
>> http://wwws.sun.com/software/gridware/5.3/index.html
>>
>>     Is this so?  Am I correct in assuming that the Open Source version
>> of SGE will be a snapshot of the 5.3 last release and after Oct
>> 15/2004 it will not be available for download?
>>
>>     I've done a search of the mailing list archives but can't find any
>> mention of this...
>>
>>     Cheers,
>>
>>     J.C.

| Christopher Duncan    Sun HPC Support Engineer [PTS-AMER] |
| Email: christopher.duncan at sun.com    Tel: +1 781-442-2309 |
|                   -=Carpe Noctem=-                        |