[GE users] Weird Shell behavior

Kirk Patton kpatton at transmeta.com
Mon Jun 14 20:13:54 BST 2004

Hello all,

I have a user who is experiencing a problem with their shell startup files getting sourced and
stomping the enviroment variables that SGE migrated from the submission host.

I have "shell_start_mode" set to "unix_behavior"
:>qconf -sconf| grep shell
shell_start_mode          unix_behavior
login_shells              sh,ksh,csh,tcsh,bash

My understanding is that in this configuration, the users .cshrc should "not" get sourced.

>From "man sge_conf"
login_shells
       Shells in this list are only started as  login  shells  if
       the  parameter  shell_start_mode  (see  above)  is  set to
       posix_compliant.

When the user submits, the .cshrc "is" getting sourced twice...
#Added echo "sourcing .cshrc" to .cshrc for debugging

The shell being used is Tcsh

[12:01:10] captain:~> qrsh hostname
sourcing .cshrc
sourcing .cshrc
op246-001

[12:02:39] captain:~> qrsh -noshell hostname
sourcing .cshrc
op246-001

I do not have the problem under bash.
:>qrsh hostname
op246-001

Mon Jun 14 12:07:27 PDT 2004
kpatton at captain:/home/kpatton

:>qrsh -noshell hostname
op246-001

Does anyone have any idea what could cause this behavior?

Thanks,
Kirk

--
Kirk Patton