[GE users] Problem with commd communications

Craig Tierney ctierney at hpti.com
Tue Jun 15 01:08:40 BST 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 17:55, Ron Chen wrote:
> --- Craig Tierney <ctierney at hpti.com> wrote:
> > We have users that do this, but it is intentional.
> > We have a script called qsub_wait, that allows a
> user
> > to submit a job and then wait for its completion
> > before it continues.
>
> You can also use "qevent" to do this, but not sure if
> it supports 5.3p1 or not.
>
> I think qevent should be better than looping qstat,
> but nevertheless, it is good that we find a bug in
> commd.

I have already started looking at your patch for
qevent.  I think it is a much cleaner way to implement
a qsub that waits (except for just upgrading to 6.0).

I have added a few extra features to your patch to qevent,
but there are two things I haven't figured out yet.

1) How do you make sure that if you supply the wrong job number
for a non-existent job that the code will not sit indefinitely
but exits immedately?

2) Does the event pass back enough information through the
sgeE_JOB_DEL event so that I can get at the exit_status of
the job (the one that gets written to the accounting logs)?

Thanks,
Craig