[GE users] Problem with commd communications

Ron Chen ron_chen_123 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 15 03:00:05 BST 2004

--- Craig Tierney <ctierney at hpti.com> wrote:
> I hope that the check is a qstat 'lite'.  We just
> need to use the job number, try and get a
> job-record, and if
> it says 'no such job, quit'.  We shouldn't have to
> call all of qstat, that puts overhead on the server
> that we are trying to avoid.

Yes, that's what I mean by timeout.

Normally, people use qstat to pull the qmaster every x
minutes. When we use qevent+timeout, we actually don't
rely on polling to get the information. The qmaster
sends us the update, but timeout is only for handling
cases that "somehow" we missed qmaster's information.

(an example is that the job is done before we run
qevent, and qevent without timeout will hang forever)

> When JOB_DEL is called, I figure that
> the exit code has already been determined and that
> must be around in memory still.

AFAIK, the qmaster holds the information for a short
period of time, may be we can get the information from
qevent. However, for long term storage of the
information, it is still kept on disk, and qacct is
the way to fetch the info.

 -Ron

http://messenger.yahoo.com/