[GE users] execution host in a different domain to the qmaster

Andy Schwierskott andy.schwierskott at sun.com
Wed Jun 16 09:39:15 BST 2004

Hi,

changing the parameter "ignore_fqdn true|false" which is mentioned below
requires restart of all execution daemons/qmaster and commd's.

It also requires that hostname resolving is setup in a coherent way. This
means that the execd daemon needs to resolve its own name exactly the way
as qmaster does (this is most likely not the case of the execd resolves the
"short" name is it's primary name).

You either need to fix your hostname resolving (/etc/hosts, NIS) that the
primary names is the foirst name after the IP address or you need to use the
host aliasing feature of Grid Engine. Please see the HOWTO's and the mailing
list archive for more information about it.

Andy

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Ron Chen wrote:

> When you install, the scripts ask you:
> "Are all hosts of your cluster in one DNS domain?"
>
> If you say yes (the default), then SGE will ignore the
> domain name. If you forget what you chose, you can
> check by:
>
> % qconf -mconf
>
> And if you have the line below, then you have told SGE
> to ignore the DNS domain.
>
> ignore_fqdn               true
>
>  -Ron
>

> --- Leanne Shih <LShih at hifn.com> wrote:
> > When I try to type qconf -sh in the other domain, it
> > complains
> > about not being able to talk to the qmaster.
> >
> > unable to contact qmaster via "crackle" commd using
> > port 535 (service
> > "sge_commd")
> >
> > Can anyone give me some advice?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Leanne

> > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > users-help at gridengine.sunsource.net

Regards,
Mit freundlichen Gruessen,
Andy
Schwierskott

Andy Schwierskott           Tel:     +49 941 3075-200  (x60200)
N1 Grid Engine Engineering  Support: +49 941 3075-250  (x60250)
Sun Microsystems GmbH       Fax:     +49 941 3075-222  (x60222)
Dr.-Leo-Ritter-Str. 7       mailto:andy.schwierskott at sun.com
D-93049 Regensburg          http://www.sun.com/gridware