[GE users] Best practices for redundant farm?

John Ross jhr at fenks.org
Wed Jun 16 16:51:47 BST 2004

Hello.

I will soon be setting up a processing farm using Grid Engine 6

One of the things I'm trying to figure out how to setup the primary and
backup sites.

The problem is a bit more then simply handling when the master goes down -
we need to handle a situation when the master and a good portion of the
farm disappears.

We'll have enough CPU at each site to finish the job should the other site
go down, but we would still like to use all the resources whenever
possible.

If I use a shadow master at the backup site, what would it do to any jobs
that were running on the machines that it lost visibility to?

Would it be a better idea to build 2 plexes, with a global master (And
shadow master)
Again, how does the global master deal with any jobs that were running on
the plex that just disappeared?

Any other ideas or thoughts?

--
John Ross
jhr at fenks.org

There's plenty of room for all God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.
	- Billboard ad for Saskatoon Restaurant
		Greenville, SC