[GE users] User defined prolog/epilog

Kirk Patton kpatton at transmeta.com
Wed Jun 16 16:59:16 BST 2004

I have accomplished this by using a generic prolog/epilog that checks for
$PROLOG/$EPILOG in the user environment.  If they point to an executeable
script, then they are run.  Otherwise the generic script simply exits 0.

It would be better to have this functionality built into SGE, but this seems
to function as a workaround.

Kirk

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 05:50:07PM +0200, Peter H. Koenig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there a clean way to define a prolog/epilog per user which is
> executed on each queue allocated and not only on the master queue for a
> parallel job ?
>
> We want to do the following: Some users want to copy data from and to
> their $TMPDIR before and after the job. While this is trivial for a
> serial job, for parallel jobs this is not this is not as easy for an
> application which reads and writes data both on master and slave nodes.
> I do have a solution for one particular application (starting another
> MPI-Job handling that, but then this is not really transferable).
>
> So my question is, what do you use for accomplishing this ?
>
> Peter

Kirk Patton
Unix Administrator
Transmeta Inc.