[GE users] SGE6 qmaster and local host config

Andy Schwierskott andy.schwierskott at sun.com
Tue Jun 22 10:12:16 BST 2004

Sean,

> While playing around with shadow master and SGE6 I ran across a
> problem.  This problem ended up being that sge_qmaster will only start
> if there's a local configuration defined for that host.  I was wondering
> if anyone could enlighten me as to why this is the case.

I also ran into this problem recently and I'm in the opion that this is a
bug. Since the docs or the man page do not state that this is a requirement
qmaster startup should not fail of the local config is missing (a warning in
the "messages" file like the execd dosts should be fully sufficient).

Like it is not required to have a local config for an exec host there is not
technical reason to require if for qmaster. I'm not sure how the behavior is
in 5.3 or if it has been silentyl introduced in a 5.3 patch.

> In my cluster, all my boxes have the exact same OS config.  That means
> that everything is the same.  Because of this, I find local conf stuff
> to be a pain.  So instead of using it, I like to remove all the local
> confs and use the global config file for everything, as its easier to
> change settings that way.  As such, having to have local confs defined
> for shadow masters to work seems like an unnecessary annoyance.   Does
> anyone know of anything bad that'd happen if I hacked sge_qmaster to not
> check for a local conf for the node its on?

Please file a bug in Issuezilla.

Before hacking the code I suggest that you just create local configs for all
potential qmaster hosts. This is certainly the cheapest way to workaround
this behavior.

Andy