[GE users] Large memory footprint for sge_qmaster

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Wed Jun 30 14:07:39 BST 2004

Yesterday afternoon I upgrade my cluster from SGE5.3 to SGE6.0.  Within
an hour of bringing things up, I saw the footprint of sge_qmaster get up
to over 50MB (I had seen it under 40MB a little earlier).  I thought
this was a bit high, however after watching it for a little while I saw
the size jump up and down some (by several MB), so I assumed it was just
normal.   Now I look at it this morning and sge_qmaster is taking up
522MB (was 528MB when I woke up a couple hours ago).  Also, sge_schedd
is sitting at 177MB.  This is looking more and more like a memory leak
to me.  Has anyone else seen this?  Does anyone have any idea what might
be causing it or how to fix it?

The cluster in question has 116 compute nodes, each dual processor.
About 240 jobs have been submitted to SGE since I upgraded, some MPI,
some uni-processor.  Most of them were submitted within an hour of
turning SGE back on.  A couple were submitted in the early hours this
morning.

SGE was compiled from source with berkeley db spooling turned off (not
even compiled in).

Thanks,

Sean