[GE users] Increasing negative priorities

Jim Van Sciver jvs at bbn.com
Mon Mar 29 21:08:52 BST 2004

I've looked through the mailing and issues list but have
not seen anyone discussing user increasable priorities.

The qalter command allows one to decrease but not increase
queue priority values.  If my job starts out running at
priority -400 I can "qalter -p -450 job#" but then cannot
subsequently "qalter -p 400 job#".

We would like a mechanism where one half of the priority range
is reserved for use by users, the negative range is fine,
and the other half for administrators.  Users should be
able to both raise and lower their pending and running job
priorities in response to the current competing project
priorities.

Thoughts?

Jim Van Sciver