[GE users] Mixed patch levels / AIX 5

Matthias Mann Matthias.Mann at chemie.tu-dresden.de
Fri May 7 15:52:21 BST 2004

Hallo Andy,

On Friday 07 May 2004 14:49, you wrote:
> Matthias,
>
> > two short questions (don't found an answer in the mailing archive):
> > - are there known problems running SGEEE 5.3p6 in the cluster
> >   and leave the binaries for the AIX 4.2 nodes as 5.3p2 version
> >   (to avoid recompiling) ?  The AIX 4.2 machines are only for
> >   non-interactive compute jobs and will be updated in future.
> > - for AIX 4.3 und AIX 5.x we use the same binaries. Is it necessary
> >   to do any trick, e.g. make an symbolic link  aix51 -> aix43 in
> >   $SGE_ROOT/bin ?
>
> You shouldn't mix patch levels. Since the most recent binaries are built on
> the same machine as the 5.3p2 binaries you should have no problems in using
> the AIX binaries which we provide.

you provide AIX 4.2 binaries ??
The AIX 4.2 binaries we have in use I compiled myself, and there was some
trouble doing this (e.g. qtcsh doesn't compile). So I hoped to avoid dealing
with this once more.
Because the mentioned machines are no login and/or interactive machines,
I assume, only changes in daemons between p2 and p6 could make problems ?

> Also compiling yourself the binaries for all architectures should cause no
> new or unexpected problems.

See above :-(

> Andy

Greetings, and have a nice weekend,
Matthias

--
Dr. Matthias Mann
DV-Koordinator Fachrichtung Chemie der TU Dresden,
Email: Matthias.Mann at chemie.tu-dresden.de