[GE users] qselect problem

Charu Chaubal Charu.Chaubal at Sun.COM
Fri May 7 16:16:40 BST 2004

Hi Kirk,

There is one user who approaches this issue in a slightly different way:
at the end of the rcsge script, he inserted a call to rcsge.local ---
this is a script which sets machine-specific parameters as (fixed)
resource values.

This way, you can dynamically determine the resource values, but this
only happens at boot time, since these values will not change after boot-up.

(of course, you'd have to modify rcsge on all your exec hosts....).

Regards,
	Charu

Kirk Patton wrote:
> On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 11:10:21AM +0200, Andreas Haas wrote:
>
>>Hi Kirk,
>>
>>the behaviour you encounter is the outcome of
>>
>>   AH-2004-03-04-1: Bugfix:    qselect/qstat -l selection wrongly considers
>>                               load and utilization
>>                    Issue:     771
>>                    Bugtraq:   5019624
>>                    Review:    AS
>>
>>the behaviour you possibly desire is a corresponding RFE #772. But why
>>don't you specify immutable information such
>

> The reason I used load sensors was that it is easier to set up.  Doing
> it for each machine ment more administrative overhead for me.  The load
> sensors look at the system and figure out what the correct value is.
>
> Reguarding #772, is that only for SGE 6.0 then?  I am running 5.3p6 and there
> does not seem to be a "-full" option to qselect.  I rather like the old behavior.
>
> Kirk
>

>>   - os
>>   - platform
>>   - release
>>   - ..
>>
>>in each hosts complex_values list? You can use the qconf -?attr
>>switch family (use "exechost" as obj_nm) for efficiently accomplishing
>>this.
>>
>>Using Grid Engine complex_values for non-mutable attributes has two
>>fundamental benefits:
>>
>> (1) It lowers the amount of data that periodically needs to be
>>     transfered from Execd to Qmaster and thus lowers effort
>>     Qmaster on processing load reports.
>>
>> (2) It ensures this information is available even during
>>     Execd maintainance shutdown. With load values a timeout
>>     is in effect which causes them not be available after
>>     a certain time when exec hosts queues change into
>>     'unknown' state.
>>
>>The #771 fix changed the problematic behaviour of qstat/qselect
>>returning a mutuable set of queues variying with the clusters
>>load/utilization situation. Anyone please realize qselect be used
>>within scripts for changing particular queue's configuation: If load
>>values were generally considered by qselect it wouldn't be usable
>>for this purpose. It's true that in versions prior 5.3 this behaved
>>differently.
>>
>>Andy's and my take on this is that this is in fact is a bug since
>>load/utilization were never considered in versions prior 5.3. Well,
>>it's possible that users see this differently and we simly lack
>>funded feedback from the Grid Engine users community.
>>
>>As pointed out by Rayson reverting the #771 fix does not require
>>major development effort.
>>
>>RFC,
>>Andreas

# Charu V. Chaubal              # Phone: (650) 786-7672 (x87672)   #
# Grid Computing Technologist   # Fax:   (650) 786-4591            #
# Sun Microsystems, Inc.        # Email: charu.chaubal at sun.com     #