[GE users] dry run and load thresholds

Andreas Haas Andreas.Haas at Sun.COM
Sat May 8 10:15:54 BST 2004

As outlined by Charu currently the statement of "-w v"
returning "true" is that

   "it is possible to run a job"

whereas dry run with debitations in effect would change
that statement into

   "it is possible to dispatch the job now"

in contrast to this the schedd_info information as returned
by qstat -j gets you

   "why wasn't it possible to dispatch the job with the last
    scheduling interval?"

note that having qmaster do "-w v" verification with
debitations be in effect would also cause consumable
current utilization be taken into account accordingly!

... with the outcome that "-w v" statement could be perceived
an erratic behaviour: It would change each time depending on the
current cluster resource utilization situation.  But Andy is
certainly on the right track that this might be excatly the
behavoiur one wishes to see and in fact it could be done with
little effort by implementing yet another -w option argument
such as "V" or something similar.

Possibly we should go over to dev@ in case there is interest
to deepen that debate ...

Andreas