[GE users] priorities (for array jobs)

Bryan Bayerdorffer bryan.bayerdorffer at analog.com
Wed May 12 01:35:04 BST 2004

Two questions (SGEEE v5.3p6)

- Users can't submit jobs with positive priority values or qalter pending jobs
to higher priorities.  qsub -p 1 is silently ignored and the job gets priority
0.  qalter -p 1 yields 'denied: "user" must be operator to increase job
priority'.  Is there a way to enable all users to set positive priorities
without giving them other operator privileges?

- Each host has a queue for normal jobs and a queue for urgent jobs.  The
urgent queues offer a resource prec=1 while the normal queues offer prec=0.
When all the normal queues are full and I submit some more jobs that request
prec=0, followed by some jobs that request prec=1 (same priority for all), my
urgent (prec=1) jobs wait behind my normal jobs, even though they could be
dispatched.  Shouldn't the scheduler detect this and allow my urgent jobs to
run, even though they were submitted after my normal jobs?

--
"This isn't right.  This isn't even wrong."
                                                                  -- Hans Bethe