[GE users] how do soft resource requests work ?

Dr Ian C. Smith i.c.smith at liverpool.ac.uk
Wed May 12 14:02:24 BST 2004

I've studied the SGE docs long and hard but I still can't
make out how soft resource requests work. If I have
two queues QueueA and QueueB with complexes ComplexA
and ComplexB and corresponding attributes AttributeA
and AttributeB then can I get SGE to run a job on the
correct queue with say

#$ -q QueueA QueueB
#$ -soft
#$ -l AttributeA=4
#$ -l AttributeB=4

It seems that the job only runs if

AttributeA >= 4 and
AttributeB >= 4

i.e. both conditions are satified. If this is a soft
request then surely neither condition needs to be satisfied
but if one is then the job should go to that queue.
Or am I missing something ?

-ian.