[GE users] how do soft resource requests work ?

wilfried at gaensheimer.de wilfried at gaensheimer.de
Wed May 12 15:21:01 BST 2004

On Wed, 12 May 2004, Dr Ian C. Smith wrote:

I came across the same recently and at least with
SGE 5.3p5 you need to write

#$ -q QueueA QueueB
#$ -soft -l AttributeA=4
#$ -soft -l AttributeB=4

to get this resources added to the "soft" list.
-soft works on the same line, only.

One other surprise was to see that one can have the same
resource request at the same time in the hard and soft
limits with opposing values:
We had a default of "-l short=false" in the global .sge_request, but
wanted to start jobs with "-soft -l short=true". The outcome is that
"short=false" was winning always, no job made it to a host offering
"short=true".

Bye
Wilfried