[GE users] how do soft resource requests work ?

Charu Chaubal Charu.Chaubal at Sun.COM
Thu May 13 02:10:58 BST 2004

Hello,

Andy Schwierskott wrote:
> Wilfried,
>

>>On Wed, 12 May 2004, Dr Ian C. Smith wrote:
>>
>>I came across the same recently and at least with
>>SGE 5.3p5 you need to write
>>
>>#$ -q QueueA QueueB
>>#$ -soft -l AttributeA=4
>>#$ -soft -l AttributeB=4
>>
>>to get this resources added to the "soft" list.
>>-soft works on the same line, only.
>

> I'd say this is a bug.
>

>>One other surprise was to see that one can have the same
>>resource request at the same time in the hard and soft
>>limits with opposing values:
>>We had a default of "-l short=false" in the global .sge_request, but
>>wanted to start jobs with "-soft -l short=true". The outcome is that
>>"short=false" was winning always, no job made it to a host offering
>>"short=true".
>

> This is also a bug in my opinion.

Is this really a bug?  I thought the defined behavior for soft requests
was: first find all the queues which satisfy all hard requests, then
pick those queues which satisfy as many soft requests as possible.  If
you follow this logic, then the above behavior is exactly consistent.

I think a "hard" request should always be followed.  If you want to have
an opposite "soft" request, you should first cancel the hard request
explicitly.

> For hard requests, the default is the the latter occurence of a request in the (virtual)
> hierachy (sge_request -> ~/.sge_request -> <cwd>/.sge_request -> script ->
> cmdline) is taken. The same should be donw for -soft/-hard request. So I
> regard your observation as a bug.

but, since he did not cancel the hard request inside the script, it is
still in effect, and is obeyed in a strict manner, right?  So no bug....

What you'd want is a way to cancel the default '-l short=false'.  I
guess right now, there is no way to say '-l short=""' in order to "turn
off" a request..... this is where the problem lies, IMHO: the ability to
"cancel" a default request in an overriding options definition.

Regards,
	Charu

> Let's see the comments from other developers (and users).
>
> Andy
>

>>Bye
>>Wilfried
>>

>>>I've studied the SGE docs long and hard but I still can't
>>>make out how soft resource requests work. If I have
>>>two queues QueueA and QueueB with complexes ComplexA
>>>and ComplexB and corresponding attributes AttributeA
>>>and AttributeB then can I get SGE to run a job on the
>>>correct queue with say
>>>
>>>#$ -q QueueA QueueB
>>>#$ -soft
>>>#$ -l AttributeA=4
>>>#$ -l AttributeB=4
>>>
>>>i.e. both conditions are satified. If this is a soft
>>>request then surely neither condition needs to be satisfied
>>>but if one is then the job should go to that queue.
>>>Or am I missing something ?
>>>
>>>-ian.

# Charu V. Chaubal              # Phone: (650) 786-7672 (x87672)   #
# Grid Computing Technologist   # Fax:   (650) 786-4591            #
# Sun Microsystems, Inc.        # Email: charu.chaubal at sun.com     #