[GE users] Configure mandatory resources for a queue ?

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Mon May 17 15:36:20 BST 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 09:46, Voetelink D. wrote:
> Sean Dilda wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 05:23, Voetelink D. wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I'm looking for a way to configure a queue, so that it will never be
> >>used, unless some resource was specified.
> >>
> >>At the moment we have a bunch of queues, and two queues which are
> >>used for specific programs (which can only run in these queues due
> >>to system-specific licensing). I configured a complex value on the
> >>queues, but if someone submits a job without any resource requests,
> >>the job will possibly be scheduled on one of the queues I mentioned
> >>above. This is not really what we want....
> >

> > You'll want to modify the complex and set 'requestable' to FORCED.  We
> > have a couple of complexes like that and they work exactly like you
> > want.
> >
> > [sean at head4 sean]$ qconf -sc stat
> > #name            shortcut   type   value           relop requestable
> > consumable default
> > #--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > stat             stat       BOOL   TRUE            ==    FORCED
> > NO         FALSE
> > ##--- # starts a comment but comments are not saved across edits
> > -----------------------
>
> This sounds great. However, it seems that this resource now needs to be requested
> for every job in every queue... correct?

No, it only has to be requested for the jobs that want to use that
resource.  Otherwise, it'll be assigned the default value of 'FALSE'.

> What I would like is that only the 2 queues which have a licensed
> system attached to them require a specific resource to be requested.
>
> A workaround would probably be to let this forced resource have a default
> value for all jobs? Is there a somewhat cleaner solution?

If you look at the example I showed, it has 'requestable' set to
'FORCED' and 'default' set to 'FALSE'.  So, if someone submits a job and
doesn't request the complex, then the value is set to 'FALSE' and the
jobs won't be assigned to any queues that have that complex associated
with them.   If someone does request the resource (with '-l stat' in my
example), then the job will only run on the queues that are associated
with that resource.