[GE users] priorities (for array jobs)

sophana jobarjo78 at yahoo.fr
Mon May 17 16:03:47 BST 2004

Shannon V. Davidson wrote:

> SGE 5.x uses job priority (-p priority) as a simple job ordering
> mechanism.
>
> SGEEE 5.x uses job priority (-p priority) for ranking jobs within the
> functional and share tree policies.
>
> SGE 6.0 unifies the GE and GEEE priority mechanisms by supporting both
> and allowing the SGE manager to determine the relative weighting or
> influence of each on the overall priority of the job.  The SGEEE
> mechanism is now supported via the new -js job_share qsub option.

I see no feature for job pre-emption.

We have a limited number of simulation licenses. we would like to make
regression tests in low priority. but when a user has a development
simulation to make, we want one of the simulations to be suspended (and
the license freed) so that the urgent simulation takes place immediatly.

We actually implement such a mechanism with subordinate queues. however
it has big limitations:
the queues are attached to hosts. one queue per license.

lets assume we have 5 licenses (5 pair of queue), we have 4 low priority
jobs running. if I submit a high priority job, it can suspend one low
priority job instead of using a free license.

in sge 6, I saw that queues are no more linked to one host. will the
subordinate queue feature still exist?

Thanks