[GE users] SUSE 9.1 and SGE

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Wed May 19 16:51:56 BST 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 16:26, John Coldrick wrote:

> 	Great to hear this Matthias...if I may borrow your expertise :) -
> there's a service not running apparently called "afs" on my SUSE 9 -
> it's listed in my /etc/services file, but I haven't found any run-level
> scripts for it.  I'm assuming this is the reason why sge won't start -
> when running the install program it warns me about this and seems to
> fail.

Afs = Andre File System and it is a distributed filesystem, which has a
global namespace. Think of it as similar to NFS, but with differences.
There is cacheing, redundancy of servers  and you can access files on
a machine on another continent if you have permissions.
http://www.openafs.org
Or a quick guide
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~rc/classes/afs/what-is-afs.html

You can safely take any dependencies on afs out of the rcsge script.
I'd guess you are using NFS?

Actually, I wonder if a post-production/animation house like you have
a use for AFS? It would be interesting to find out.
As an aside, I think the next Redhat Enterprise will have AFS support.
At the moment, you have to