[GE users] how are soft resource request satisfied

Wed May 26 15:36:38 BST 2004

Dr Ian C. Smith wrote:

> Hi Charu,
>
> Some additional info below:
>
> --On 20 May 2004 14:35 -0700 Charu Chaubal <Charu.Chaubal at Sun.COM> wrote:
>

>> On May 20, 2004, at 8:38 AM, Dr Ian C. Smith wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Can anyone demystify how soft resource requests
>>> are satisfied -- as usual the Sun documentation is about as much
>>> use as a chocolate kettle. For example, say I have
>>> three queues Queue_A, Queue_B, Queue_C and corresponding
>>> resources Resource_A, Resource_B and Resource_C and I
>>> request:
>>>
>>> # $ -soft -l ResourceA=value
>>> # $ -soft -l ResourceB=value
>>> # $ -soft -l ResourceC=value
>>>
>>> and value <= max( ResourceA, ResourceB, ResourceA ).
>>>
>>> Ideally the job would go to the queue which most closely
>>> satisfies the requirement i.e. Queue_i where i minimises
>>> ( Resource_i - value ) - or indeed any Queue_i where
>>> i satisfies Resource_i >= value.
>>>

>> How have you defined the resources?  eg, values, relop, etc.
>

> The values come from load sensors. The complexes are of the form:
>
> #name            shortcut   type   value           relop requestable
> consumable default
> #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ------------
> ResourceA        ResourceA  INT    0               <=    YES         NO 0

Which value did you assign this attributes in the queues and what did
the job request?

if the setting would be like:
q1 - ResourceA = 10
q1 - ResourceB = 2
q1 - ResourceC = 5

q2 - ResourceA = 2
q2 - ResourceB = 5
q2 - ResourceC = 10

and the job requests:

ResourceA = 4
ResourceB = 4
ResourceC = 4

we have a
q1 match count of = 2 (resourceA and resourceB)
q2 match count of = 2 (resourceB and resourceC)

And the job would run be dispatched based on the queue_sort_method.

Does this help?

Stephan