[GE users] specific process on specific node ( host )

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Thu May 27 07:43:02 BST 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 03:12, Jonathan Zweig wrote:
> Hello,
> You can specify lists of queues to qsub; BUT sge will choose the least
> loaded from the list you supply, so this doesn't solve my problem.  My issue
> is that I have a set of jobs which run in parallel, and I want some of them
> to run on some machines, and other parts of the parallel system to run on
> other machines.  I think we're talking about two different things.

I think we're getting confused here with the meaning of 'parallel',
as in 'mpich programs' and 'jobs which run at the same time'.
I have probably misunderstood!

I think choosing specific hosts won't scale.
If you add new hosts to the cluster, you'll have to hard-wire in to
a machines file again.
OK, that may not concern you.

Perhaps its better to extend the hosts complex with a machine type.
I'm assuming here you have different types of machine - eg. fast/slow
or big memory machines?
then specify that machine type in qsub for each type of job.
Or am I way off base here?