[GE users] ge6 parallel environments

Jason Crane Jason.Crane at mrsc.ucsf.edu
Mon Nov 1 21:34:34 GMT 2004

Hi,

I have a question about configuring parallel environments in
ge6.  I have a large number of cluster queues, each
corresponding to a distinct set of nodes and user access
lists.  I want privileged users to be able to submit
parallel jobs in the same way on each of these cluster
queues (i.e. same start and stop proc args, same allocation
rule, etc.) and so would ideally like to be able to use a
single parallel environment (e.g. pe_mpich), available from
each cluster queue.   My question is therefore how to handle
the value of "Slots" and "Users".  If I leave the "Users"
field blank in the pe configuration, will it inherit the
user access list from cluster queue to which the job is
bound so that members of user_list_1 and user_list_2 could
submit parallel jobs to their queues as follows:

qsub -pe pe_mpich -q group1.q ...
qsub -pe pe_mpich -q group2.q ...

The second point is that I would like the number of slots to
be the same as the sum of the number of slots in the queue
instances comprising the specified cluster_queue to which
the parallel job is bound.  Is there a way to set "slots" in
the pe to achieve this behavior?  I'm trying to avoid having
to create a unique parallel environment for every cluster
queue that differs only in the value of "Slots" and/or
"Users".

Thanks you for any help.

-Jason