[GE users] ge6 parallel environments

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Mon Nov 1 21:50:29 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 16:34, Jason Crane wrote:

> qsub -pe pe_mpich -q group1.q ...
> qsub -pe pe_mpich -q group2.q ...

If they only have access to one cluster queue, they don't need
to request it.  SGE will only let their jobs run on queues they
have access to.

> The second point is that I would like the number of slots to
> be the same as the sum of the number of slots in the queue
> instances comprising the specified cluster_queue to which
> the parallel job is bound.  Is there a way to set "slots" in
> the pe to achieve this behavior?  I'm trying to avoid having
> to create a unique parallel environment for every cluster
> queue that differs only in the value of "Slots" and/or
> "Users".

Um, may I ask why you want to set the slots for the parallel
environment?  I tend to set the slots for the parallel environment
outrageously high (like 8 times the current total number of slots
in my cluster), that way the slot count will be limited by the
queues in the parallel environment.   The slot count for the
parallel environments is useful is if you want to limit
parallel jobs to using less than 100% of your cluster at any
given time.

Also, you can have one parallel environment with man cluster
queues joined to it.  If a user only has access to one cluster
queue or requests a certain cluster queue, then SGE will do the
right thing.