[GE users] share trees

Shannon V. Davidson svdavidson at swbell.net
Thu Nov 4 13:21:51 GMT 2004

Karen,

AFAICT, you haven't done anything wrong.

The number of shares assigned to the "default" user node is the number
of shares that each user in that share tree branch will get in relation
to one another.  The "default" users are displayed in the share tree as
a convenience so you can see their individual usage and share
information.  The main point is that all the users which map to the
default node have the same shares.  This means that they will compete
equally for the resources.  Since they have the same shares and the
usage for users is accumulated on a per project basis, the actual
computed tickets and priorities will not be diluted.

It would probably be less confusing if we only displayed the default
users which have access to the particular branch of the share tree.  For
example, in your case, if project A has department A identified as an
access list, then we should only display users from department A.  I'll
take a look at submitting an enhancement or bug-fix request.

Shannon

Karen Brazier wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Perhaps someone here can tell me what I've done wrong with my share tree.
>
>Within the share tree I have two departments, each defined as a
>'department' userset.  Within each department is a project.  Project A in
>Dept A will be the default one for everyone who hasn't access to any other
>project.  Project B in Dept B is for a small set of users who should have
>enhanced shares.
>
>In Project A I included just the special user 'default' and expected it to
>stay that way. But Lo! on re-opening the share tree in qmon, *all* my
>configured users have appeared in the project and the shares have been
>divided so that my 9 users get 10% each and 'default' gets the other 10%.
>
>Project B does the same.  The users who aren't members of the project
>can't actually submit jobs, but they do dilute the shares that other
>members of the project receive.  (Eventually the 'B' users should have ~5
>times the shares of a standard user.)
>
>Does this mean that I've done something stupid, or is there a problem with
>the mechanism for 'default' users?
>
>I should add that qconf -sstree shows just the default user, not all the
>others.
>
>All help gratefully received,
>Karen Brazier

Shannon V. Davidson <svdavidson at swbell.net>
Senior Software Engineer           Raytheon
636-479-7465 office        443-383-0331 fax