[GE users] job_load_threshold under 6.0u1

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Thu Nov 4 18:30:21 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 03:35, Stephan Grell - Sun Germany - SSG -
Software Engineer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sorry, for replying sooooo late.
>
> There is a misunderstanding in how the load adjustments work. It is
> a scheduler internal feature and has nothing to do with the rest of
> the
> system (that is why the configuration parameters are part of the
> scheduler
> configuration ;-) ).
> The job_load_adjustments mean, that when a job is dispatched to a
> host,
> it will add that amount of load to that host (in your example:
> np_load_avg
> would increase by 1.0). Since it will take some time, before the job
> is started
> and the load sensor reports the new load, one can simulate that load
> with
> the help of the load adjustments.
> The decay time is the time interval, after which the simulated load is
> gone and
> one is sure, that the job is started and the real load is correct.
>
> The purpose of this feature is to prevent an overload situation on the
> hosts and
> to ensure, that a queue will not go into alarm state based on the jobs
> dispatched
> by the scheduler.
>
> To ensure, that the load_adjustments are working correct, take your
> example and
> assign that queue 10 slots. Submit 10 jobs into the system and you
> will see, that
> only one will be started.

Thanks for the response.  After my original post, I noticed the load
adjustments showing up if I ran 'qstat -j' on a job.  I was just
confused since the load adjustment didn't show up anywhere else.

I still think the adjusted values should shows up as an alarm state if
they essentially cause one.

If I were to set a load_threshold to 'mem_free=-900MB', will that
actually affect people who submit jobs with '-l mem_free=XXX' ?  Due to
the fact that setting that load threshold doesn't change the output of
'qhost -F mem_free', I would think not, but now I'm not sure.