[GE users] job_load_threshold under 6.0u1

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Fri Nov 5 19:05:11 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-05 at 02:48, Stephan Grell - Sun Germany - SSG -
Software Engineer wrote:
> Sean Dilda wrote:

> > If I were to set a load_threshold to 'mem_free=-900MB', will that
> > actually affect people who submit jobs with '-l mem_free=XXX' ?  Due to
> > the fact that setting that load threshold doesn't change the output of
> > 'qhost -F mem_free', I would think not, but now I'm not sure.
>
> Well, yes and no. The load thresholds are evaluated against load
> sensors that is
> reported by the hosts. But if you set mem_free to 900MB and the host
> has only
> 800 MB available, the queue instances on the host will go into alarm
> state, and no
> further jobs will be dispatched, regardless of what the jobs request.
>
> If the host has 1 GB available, the queue will not be in alarm state.
> But a job, that
> requests -l mem_free=1.1 GB will not be dispatched to that host, since
> it has not
> enough memory available.

Thanks for the response.  If I were doing this, should the
load_threshold be set to 'mem_free=-900MB' or 'mem_free=900MB'.

In other words, does 'load_thresholds' always add the values, or does it
use the 'relop' of the complex to decide if it should add or subtract?