[GE users] Resource allocation in Parallel

Olesen, Mark Mark.Olesen at arvinmeritor.com
Tue Nov 9 13:57:13 GMT 2004

Andy Schwierskott (andy.schwierskott at sun.com) writes on 2004-11-05
> Nitin,
>
> with the PE allocation rule
>
>    allocation_rule 1
>
> a N-slot parallel job will be scheduled across N hosts. A dynamic
> distribution of granted memory is not possible.

I'd like to tag on an extra question about resource allocation in parallel.
I have coupled 1d/3d code. The 3d code (resource 'shpc') is in parallel
(mpich) and the 1d code (resource 'gtp') runs in serial on the master
compute node.

To ensure that the license allocation is done appropriately, I can use a
request such as '-pe mpi 4 -l shpc=1,gtp=0.25'.

Is there any way of burying pseudo-variables into the request, so that I can
hardcode the request in the script?

#$ -pe mpi 4
#$ -hard -l shpc=1,gtp=1/$NSLOTS

I think that dynamically adjusting the requests via 'qalter' could be
problematic, since this would also clear other (default) settings.

/mark

Dr. Mark Olesen
Thermofluid Dynamics Analyst
ArvinMeritor Light Vehicle Systems
ArvinMeritor Emissions Technologies GmbH
Biberbachstr. 9
D-86154 Augsburg, GERMANY
tel: +49 (821) 4103 - 862
fax: +49 (821) 4103 - 7862