[GE users] Cant read usage file error

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at email.unc.edu
Tue Nov 9 16:31:37 GMT 2004

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Joachim Gabler wrote:

> That's ok, qrsh/qsh needn't be suid root.
>
> It is utilbin/<arch>/rsh that has to be suid root.

Hello Joachim, they are, indeed, setuid:

r-s--x--x  1 grid  wheel    22012 17 Aug 05:03 rlogin
-r-s--x--x  1 grid  wheel    16760 17 Aug 05:03 rsh

Note to Rayson who said:

> There should be a script to set the permissions for the SGE binaries (I
> think you need to run it as root), or you can use SSH as the transport
> protocol instead.

This document states:

else you can change the global cluster configuration (qconf -mconf).

Set the parameters rsh_command and rlogin_command in your cluster
configuration to ssh:

      rsh_command     /usr/bin/ssh
      rlogin_command  /usr/bin/ssh

and so I did on bp01.isis.unc.edu, which also changed it on the client,
(bp08). First it looked like this (Which did not work):

qlogin_command               ssh
qlogin_daemon                /usr/sbin/sshd -i
rlogin_daemon                /usr/sbin/sshd -i

then I tried:

qlogin_command               ssh
qlogin_daemon                /usr/sbin/ssh
rlogin_daemon                /usr/sbin/ssh

Still nogo.

qrsh date
rcmd: socket: Operation not permitted
^Cerror: error waiting on socket for client to connect: Interrupted system
call
error: error reading returncode of remote command

(the messages file on the master says):

11/09/2004 11:20:17|qmaster|bp01|W|job 9.1 failed on host
bp08.isis.unc.edu assumedly after job because: job 9.1 died through signal
HUP (1)

I'm greatly appreciating the help here, as I struggle to recall my Sun OS
(BSD) days...

Paul Mitchell

	Paul Mitchell
	email: pmitchel at email.unc.edu
	phone: (919) 962-9778
	office: I have an office, room 14, Phillips Hall