[GE users] 6.0 qstat - possible RFE

Andreas Haas Andreas.Haas at Sun.COM
Thu Nov 11 16:02:48 GMT 2004

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, Pacey, Mike wrote:

> > I agree that the output of qstat is not as good as it could be.
> >
> > I believe that SGE 6.0 offers XML output so that you can parse the
> > output into whatever format suits you.  I have not tried it yet.
> >
> > I wrote a script to makes the display of qstat a little more LSF'ish.
> > It parses the output of qstat -ext -r.  It offers a -w, wide format.
> > It has some filtering capabilities as well.
>
> Thanks for the perl script, Kirk. I've been putting one together myself using XML::Simple and the format command, though I've not yet fully deciphered the dtd.
>
> To Andreas: thanks for issue tracker ticket numbers. The analogy of ps -o was exactly what I trying to say. As an earlier poster pointed out, that sort of feature will definitely prevent a number of us re-inventing the wheel! That said, my main bugbear was the FQDN, which from a previous thread appears to be a bug in 6.0u1.

Not sure what thread you're refering wrts to a 6.0u1 bug ...

Well my own bugbear would be show only the hostname with plain
qstat: My claim is vast majority of end users actually don't
want to know with details of their Grid Engine installation
such as what queue was selected. Having a means to print a
job's queue instance certainly is needed, but it's not the
first thing one wishes to know. The first thing one wishes
to know is the machine where a job is running.

> The qstat RFE seems to have generated most responses - I've only seen one request for top/prstat style output to be added. Any chance I can add it as an RFE, too?

Implementing those guys is the problem ... adding RFEs hardly ever
is a problem.

Ahh ... let me add kind of a qtop could be nicely implemented:
Updates about new jobs that become running or about job utilization
can be provided by qmaster in an event based fashion. Even jobs
current virtual memory size is available internally and could be
delivered to qtop client based on events.

Andreas