[GE users] -N option

Charles_Hook at freddiemac.com Charles_Hook at freddiemac.com
Fri Nov 12 00:53:09 GMT 2004

Hi Andy, thanks for the response.  I copied and pasted your command string
into my grid and this is the result.

hq4unx132 /opt/sge/default/common > qsub -N "asd asd asd"
setenv
Unable to run job because of error: Space (' ') not allowed in objectname.
Exiting.

I am not sure of how to tell you which specific version I am running.  But
the downloaded files that we installed with were obtained about 5 weeks
ago.

Thanks,
Charles Hook
SAS Administration

             "Andy
             Schwierskott"
             <andy.schwierskot                                          To
             t at sun.com>                users at gridengine.sunsource.net
                                                                        cc
             11/10/2004 04:57
                                       Re: [GE users] -N option

             Please respond to
             users at gridengine.
               sunsource.net

Hi,

in 6.0u1 at least it works without any problems (both spooling methods).

    % qsub -N "asd asd asd"
    setenv
    ^d

--> output filenames:
     asd asd asd.o3689
     asd asd asd.e3689

    % grep asd asd\ asd\ asd.o3689
    REQNAME=asd asd asd
    JOB_NAME=asd asd asd
    REQUEST=asd asd asd
    SGE_STDOUT_PATH=/home/as114086/asd asd asd.o3689
    SGE_STDERR_PATH=/home/as114086/asd asd asd.e3689

Andy

>> In version 5.3, users were able to submit jobs without a -N option and
the
>> grid picked up the command name and placed it in the name field by
default
>> without any issue.
>>
>> In version 6, the same commands are failing because the user was also
>> passing parameters to the command on the command line separated by a
space
>> and the new version is complaining that the object name cannot contain
any
>> spaces.
>
> You mean a command like:
>
> qsub -N "myjob para1 para2" myscript.sh
>
> With classic spooling it still seems working, maybe it's related to
Berkeley DB

For additional commands, e-mail: users-help at gridengine.sunsource.net

    [ Part 2, Image/GIF (Name: "pic05314.gif") 1.4 KB. ]
    [ Unable to print this part. ]

    [ Part 3: "Attached Text" ]