[GE users] Allocation order

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Sat Nov 13 20:17:26 GMT 2004

why can't you use the sort_by_load for this configuration? You can put some
artificial load for freshly started jobs to be taken into account in the
scheduler (job_load_adjustments). This way first one slot in each machine will
be used first.

Another idea maybe to have two different queues with only one slot per host
(but otherwise) identical. This way, each slot can have a unique number. But
when one job "at the beginning" of the sort order finished, this slot will be
used although there will a complete idle machine. I mean

host1 = seqno  5 = job 1
host2 = seqno 10 = job 2
host3 = seqno 15 = job 3
host4 = seqno 20 = job 4
host1 = seqno 25 = job 5
host2 = seqno 30 = job 6

Now job1 and job4 finished and we get:

host2 = seqno 10 = job 2
host3 = seqno 15 = job 3
host1 = seqno 25 = job 5
host2 = seqno 30 = job 6

The next submitted job will go to host1, although host4 is idle.

Cheers - Reuti