[GE users] Emailing users their usage statistics

Aaron Turner aaron at cs.york.ac.uk
Mon Nov 15 12:08:15 GMT 2004

Dear All,

We reccomend that users specify job resource requirements rather than
queues (a sensible policy)
but often users are unsure what those requirements are. What might be
helpful is for them to be
informed by the usage that their last job of a similar type required, at
least as a rule-of-thumb.
We'd like to  support this for command line users. The easiest way of
doing this would be probably
emailing users, on completion of their job, with the CPU and memory usage.

I wondered if anyone had already done this. If not we will look at
implementing this and can report
back on how users find it. It should be possible to implement this
functionality via the various
internal SGE scripts, but we'll probably take the simplest approach and
simply create a wrapper
around qsub.

The interesting part won't really be the technical implementation, but
more whether it helps users
make decsions about where their jobs might run. It isn't a perfect
solution, of course, as two jobs
with almost identical parameters might have wildly different resource
requirements, but it might
be a useful tool to give users some idea of their requirements.

A more sophisticated approach might be to compile some sort of database
of past usage with
respect to user jobs, but given that users may use a variety of names
for scripts executing similar
jobs it would probably be hard to do this in practice.

Sincerely,

Aaron Turner
White Rose Grid (York)